Our group studies fundamental aspects of organic chemistry and photochemistry using experimental and theoretical methods. Factors that control and amplify production of reactive oxygen species are of interest in our laboratory. We are eager to embrace multiple technologies, even engineering. Our contributions include the pioneering use of a fiber optic method for singlet oxygen and sensitizer drug delivery for precision eradication of cancer cells. The process is called “pointsource” photodynamic therapy (i.e. a new acronym PSPDT) and channels oxygen and red diode laser light through a probe tip implanted at the tumor site. The probe tip places all of the components necessary for photodynamic therapy at the tumor and nowhere else in the body. Our basic notion is also to integrate technology from organic chemistry and green chemistry to photoreactor development and antibacterial action. Projects are focused on bacterial inactivation at air/solid and air/liquid interfaces including delivery of singlet oxygen and oxy radicals to sites in tandem or in separate quantities to amplify disinfection. Theoretical methods are also used to guide and to deepen our understanding of experiments, where reaction mechanisms are probed with density functional theory. Our work is currently funded by the National Science Foundation.
Techniques to be learned upon doing lab rotations may include: Methods in Photochemistry and Photosensitization, Organic Synthesis, and Drug Design; Nanotechnology; NMR and LCMS Techniques, Laser Spectroscopy and Biomedical Engineering, Cell Culturing, Sustainable Engineering and Green Chemistry, and Computational Methods.
CURRENT GROUP 2017
Goutam Ghosh (Postdoctoral fellow); Sarah Belh, Krishnakoli Adhikary, Niluksha Walalawela (Ph.D. students); Callistus Chiemezie (Master's student); Inna Abramova (Research assistant); Morhlon Harris, Ezra Isaacs, Radhika Viswanathan, Dana Yabroudi, and Sayuj Zachariah (undergraduate students); Katarzyna Piwowar (affiliate).
PUBLICATIONS 2011 - present
[(a) Ph.D. student; (b) MS student; (c) Undergraduate student; (d) Research assistant at Brooklyn College]
- A. A. Ghogare(a), C. J. Debaz(b); M. S. Oliveira; I. Abramova(d); P. P. Mohapatra; K. Kwon; E. M. Greer; F. M. Prado; H. P. Valerio; P. Di Mascio; A. Greer “Experimental and DFT Computational Insight into Nitrosamine Photochemistry—Oxygen Matters” J. Phys. Chem. A. 2017 (in press).
- P. P. Mohapatra; C. O. Chiemezie(b); A. Kligman; M. M. Kim; T. M. Busch; T. C. Zhu; A. Greer “31P NMR Evidence for Peroxide Intermediates in Lipid Emulsion Photooxidations: Phosphine Substituent Effects in Trapping” Photochem. Photobiol. 2017 (in press).
- S. Groveman; J. Peng; B. Itin; I. Diallo; L. M. Pratt; A. Greer; E. J. Biddinger; S. G. Greenbaum; C. M. Drain; L. Francesconi; M. Vittadello “The Role of Ozone in the Formation and Structural Evolution of Graphene Oxide Obtained from Nanographite” Carbon 2017, 122, 411-421
- M. Vignoni; N. Walalawela(a); S. M. Bonesi; A. Greer; A. H. Thomas “Lipophilic Decyl Chain-Pterin Conjugates with Sensitizer Properties” Mol. Pharmaceutics 2017, (in press).
- T. Bornhütter; A. A. Ghogare(a); A Preuß; A. Greer; B. Röder “Synthesis, Photophysics and PDT Evaluation of Mono-, Di-, Tri- and Hexa-PEG Chlorins for Pointsource Photodynamic Therapy” Photochem. Photobiol. 2017 (in press).
- S. Protti; A. Albini; R. Viswanathan(c); A. Greer “Targeting Photochemical Scalpels or Lancets in the PDT Field: The Photochemist’s Role” Photochem. Photobiol. 2017 (in press).
- M. Kim; A. A. Ghogare(a); A. Greer; T. C. Zhu “On the In-vivo Photochemical Rate Parameters for PDT Reactive Oxygen Species Modeling" Physics in Medicine and Biology 2017, 62, R1-R48.
- M. S. Baptista; J. Cadet; P. Di Mascio; A. A. Ghogare(a); A. Greer; M. R. Hamblin; C. Lorente; S. C. Nunez; M. S. Ribeiro; A. H. Thomas; M. Vignoni; T. M. Yoshimura “Type I and II Photosensitized Oxidation Reactions: Guidelines and Mechanistic Pathways” Photochem. Photobiol. 2017, 93, 912-919.
- I. Abramova(d); B. Rudshteyn(c); J. F. Liebman; A. Greer “Computed Regioselectivity and Conjectured Biological Activity of Ene Reactions of Singlet Oxygen with the Prenylnatural Product Hyperforin” Photochem. Photobiol. 2017, 93, 626-641.
- A. A. Ghogare(a); A. Greer “Synthesis of a Poly(ethylene glycol) Galloyl Sensitizer Tip for an 'All-in-One’ Photodynamic Device" J. Biophotonics 2016, 9, 1326-1336.
- B. Malek(b); W. Fang(b); I. Abramova(d); N. Walalawela(a); A. A. Ghogare(a); A. Greer “Ene Reactions of Singlet Oxygen at the Air-Water Interface” J. Org. Chem. 2016, 81, 6395-6401.
- A. A. Ghogare(a); J. M. Miller; B. Mondal; A. M. Lyons; K. A. Cengel; T. M. Busch; A. Greer “Fluorinated Photodynamic Therapy Device Tips and their Resistance to
Fouling for In Vivo Sensitizer Release” Photochem. Photobiol. 2016, 92, 166-172.
- E. M. Greer; K. Kwon; A. Greer; C. Doubleday "Thermally Activated Tunneling in Organic Reactions" Tetrahedron 2016, 72, 7357-7373.
- A. Mahendran; A. A. Ghogare(a); R. Bittman; G. Arthur; A. Greer "Synthesis and Antiproliferative Properties of a New Ceramide Analog of Varacin" Chem. Phys. Lipids 2016, 194, 165-170.
- N. Walalawela(a); A. Greer “Remote Singlet Oxygen Delivery Strategies” In: Singlet Oxygen: Applications in Biosciences and Nanosciences. S. Nonell, C. Flors, Eds, Royal Society of Chemistry, 2016, pp 335-354.
- A. A. Ghogare(a); D. Bartusik; G. Ghosh(a); N. Walalawela(a); I. Abramova(d); K. A. Cengel; J. M. Miller; T. M. Busch; A. Greer “Photodynamic Therapy by a Device Probe Tip” Photonics & Lasers in Medicine 2015, 4, 362-365.
- B. Malek(b); A. A. Ghogare(a); R. Choudhury; A. Greer “Air-Water Interface Effects on the Regioselectivity of Singlet Oxygenations of a Trisubstituted Alkene” Tetrahedron Lett. 2015, 56, 4505-4508.
- M. S. Oliveira; A. A. Ghogare(a); I. Abramova(d); E. M. Greer; F. M. Prado; P. Di Mascio; A. Greer “Mechanism of Photochemical O-Atom Exchange in Nitrosamines with Molecular Oxygen” J. Org. Chem. 2015, 80, 6119-6127.
- N. Walalawela(a); A. Greer “Remote Singlet Oxygen Delivery Strategies” In: Singlet Oxygen: Applications in Biosciences and Nanosciences. S. Nonell, C. Flors, Eds, Royal Society of Chemistry, 2015.
- G. Ghosh(a); M. Minnis(a); A. A. Ghogare(a); I. Abramova(d); K. Cengel; T. M. Busch; A. Greer "Photoactive Fluoropolymer Surfaces that Release Sensitizer Drug Molecules" J. Phys. Chem. B. 2015, 119, 4155−4164.
- R. Choudhury; A. Greer “Synergism Between Airborne Singlet Oxygen and a Trisubstituted Olefin Sulfonate for the Inactivation of Bacteria” Langmuir 2014, 30, 3599-3605.
- N. Walalawela(a); A. Greer “Photoactive Chitosan: A Step Towards a Green Strategy for Pollutant Degradation” Photochem. Photobiol. 2014, 90, 1216-1218.
- A. Greer; A. T. Balaban; J. F. Liebman “An Introduction to the Consequences of Spin and Bond Strength in the Chemistry of Diatomic Oxygen, Peroxides and Related Species” In: The Chemistry of Peroxides, Volume 3, edited by A. Greer and J. F. Liebman, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd: Chichester, UK, 2014, pp. 1-20.
- A. T. Balaban; A. Greer; J. F. Liebman “Aromaticity and Conjugation in 1,2-Benzoquinone Valence Isomers and Congeners” In: Advances in Heterocyclic Chemistry, Volume 113, Elsevier: Amsterdam, Scriven, E., Ed., 2014, pp. 111-142.
- Y. Zhao; Y. Liu; Q. Xu; M. Barahman; D. Bartusik; A. Greer; A. M. Lyons “Singlet Oxygen Generation on Porous Superhydrophobic Surfaces: Effect of Gas Flow and Sensitizer Wetting on Trapping Efficiency” J. Phys. Chem. A 2014, 118, 10364-10371.
- A. Ghogare(a); I. Rizvi; T. Hasan; A. Greer “Pointsource Delivery of a Photosensitizer Drug and Singlet Oxygen: Eradication of Glioma Cells in Vitro” Photochem. Photobiol. 2014, 90, 1119-1125.
- B. Rudshteyn(c); Á. Castillo(a); A. Ghogare(a); J. F. Liebman; A. Greer “Theoretical Study of the Reaction Formalhydrazone with Singlet Oxygen. Fragmentation of the C=N Bond, Ene Reaction, and Other Processes” Photochem. Photobiol. 2014, 90, 431-438 (dedicated to the memory of Prof. Nicholas J. Turro).