Our group is interested in fundamental aspects of organic chemistry and photochemistry. Factors that control or amplify production of reactive oxygen species are of interest. We embrace multiple technologies, even engineering. We have pioneered a fiber optic method for singlet oxygen and sensitizer delivery for precision eradication of cancer cells in vitro in a process called “pointsource” photodynamic therapy (i.e. a new acronym PSPDT). PSPDT channels oxygen and red diode laser light through a probe tip which can be implanted at the tumor site. The probe tip also discharges sensitizer molecules that serve as precursors to singlet oxygen (a cytotoxic excited state of molecular oxygen), placing all components necessary for PDT at the tumor and nowhere else in the body. Our basic notion is also to integrate technology from organic chemistry to green chemistry and antibacterial action. Some projects are focused on the inactivation of bacteria at air/liquid interfaces including delivery of singlet oxygen to sites and accentuating its toxicity with surfactants. Lastly, theoretical methods are also used to try to deepen our understanding of experiments, reaction mechanisms are probed with density functional theory. Our work is currently funded by the National Science Foundation.
Techniques to be learned upon doing lab rotations may include: Methods in Photochemistry and Photosensitization, Organic Synthesis, and Drug Design; Nanotechnology; NMR and LCMS Techniques, Laser Spectroscopy and Biomedical Engineering, Cell Culturing, Sustainable Engineering and Green Chemistry, and Computational Methods.
CURRENT GROUP 2017
Niluksha Walalawela (Ph.D. students); Noof Alduaig, Callistus Chiemezie (Master's students); Inna Abramova (Research assistant); Morhlon Harris, Ezra Isaacs, Radhika Viswanathan, Dana Yabroudi, and Sayuj Zachariah (undergraduate students); Katarzyna Piwowar (affiliate).
PUBLICATIONS 2011 - present
[(a) Ph.D. student; (b) MS student; (c) Undergraduate student; (d) Research assistant at Brooklyn College]
- T. Bornhütter; A. A. Ghogare(a); A Preuß; A. Greer; B. Röder “Synthesis, Photophysics and PDT Evaluation of Mono-, Di-, Tri- and Hexa-PEG Chlorins for Pointsource Photodynamic Therapy” Photochem. Photobiol. 2017 (in press).
- S. Protti; A. Albini; R. Viswanathan(c); A. Greer “Targeting Photochemical Scalpels or Lancets in the PDT Field: The Photochemist’s Role” Photochem. Photobiol. 2017 (in press).
- M. Kim; A. A. Ghogare(a); A. Greer; T. C. Zhu “On the In-vivo Photochemical Rate Parameters for PDT Reactive Oxygen Species Modeling" Physics in Medicine and Biology 2017, 62, R1-R48.
- I. Abramova(d); B. Rudshteyn(c); J. F. Liebman; A. Greer “Computed Regioselectivity and Conjectured Biological Activity of Ene Reactions of Singlet Oxygen with the Prenylnatural Product Hyperforin” Photochem. Photobiol. 2017 (in press).
- M. S. Baptista; J. Cadet; P. Di Mascio; A. A. Ghogare(a); A. Greer; M. R. Hamblin; C. Lorente; S. C. Nunez; M. S. Ribeiro; A. H. Thomas; M. Vignoni; T. M. Yoshimura “Type I and II Photosensitized Oxidation Reactions: Guidelines and Mechanistic Pathways” Photochem. Photobiol. 2017 (in press).
- A. A. Ghogare(a); A. Greer “Synthesis of a Poly(ethylene glycol) Galloyl Sensitizer Tip for an All-in-One’ Photodynamic Device" J. Biophotonics 2016, 9, 1326-1336.
- B. Malek(b); W. Fang(b); I. Abramova(d); N. Walalawela(a); A. A. Ghogare(a); A. Greer “Ene Reactions of Singlet Oxygen at the Air-Water Interface” J. Org. Chem. 2016, 81, 6395-6401.
- A. A. Ghogare(a); J. M. Miller; B. Mondal; A. M. Lyons; K. A. Cengel; T. M. Busch; A. Greer “Fluorinated Photodynamic Therapy Device Tips and their Resistance to
Fouling for In Vivo Sensitizer Release” Photochem. Photobiol. 2016, 92, 166-172.
- E. M. Greer; K. Kwon; A. Greer; C. Doubleday "Thermally Activated Tunneling in Organic Reactions" Tetrahedron 2016, 72, 7357-7373.
- A. Mahendran; A. A. Ghogare(a); R. Bittman; G. Arthur; A. Greer "Synthesis and Antiproliferative Properties of a New Ceramide Analog of Varacin" Chem. Phys. Lipids 2016, 194, 165-170.
- N. Walalawela(a); A. Greer “Remote Singlet Oxygen Delivery Strategies” In: Singlet Oxygen: Applications in Biosciences and Nanosciences. S. Nonell, C. Flors, Eds, Royal Society of Chemistry, 2016, pp 335-354.
- A. A. Ghogare(a); D. Bartusik; G. Ghosh(a); N. Walalawela(a); I. Abramova(d); K. A. Cengel; J. M. Miller; T. M. Busch; A. Greer “Photodynamic Therapy by a Device Probe Tip” Photonics & Lasers in Medicine 2015, 4, 362-365.
- B. Malek(b); A. A. Ghogare(a); R. Choudhury; A. Greer “Air-Water Interface Effects on the Regioselectivity of Singlet Oxygenations of a Trisubstituted Alkene” Tetrahedron Lett. 2015, 56, 4505-4508.
- M. S. Oliveira; A. A. Ghogare(a); I. Abramova(d); E. M. Greer; F. M. Prado; P. Di Mascio; A. Greer “Mechanism of Photochemical O-Atom Exchange in Nitrosamines with Molecular Oxygen” J. Org. Chem. 2015, 80, 6119-6127.
- N. Walalawela(a); A. Greer “Remote Singlet Oxygen Delivery Strategies” In: Singlet Oxygen: Applications in Biosciences and Nanosciences. S. Nonell, C. Flors, Eds, Royal Society of Chemistry, 2015.
- G. Ghosh(a); M. Minnis(a); A. A. Ghogare(a); I. Abramova(d); K. Cengel; T. M. Busch; A. Greer "Photoactive Fluoropolymer Surfaces that Release Sensitizer Drug Molecules" J. Phys. Chem. B. 2015, 119, 4155−4164.
- R. Choudhury; A. Greer “Synergism Between Airborne Singlet Oxygen and a Trisubstituted Olefin Sulfonate for the Inactivation of Bacteria” Langmuir 2014, 30, 3599-3605.
- N. Walalawela(a); A. Greer “Photoactive Chitosan: A Step Towards a Green Strategy for Pollutant Degradation” Photochem. Photobiol. 2014, 90, 1216-1218.
- A. Greer; A. T. Balaban; J. F. Liebman “An Introduction to the Consequences of Spin and Bond Strength in the Chemistry of Diatomic Oxygen, Peroxides and Related Species” In: The Chemistry of Peroxides, Volume 3, edited by A. Greer and J. F. Liebman, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd: Chichester, UK, 2014, pp. 1-20.
- A. T. Balaban; A. Greer; J. F. Liebman “Aromaticity and Conjugation in 1,2-Benzoquinone Valence Isomers and Congeners” In: Advances in Heterocyclic Chemistry, Volume 113, Elsevier: Amsterdam, Scriven, E., Ed., 2014, pp. 111-142.
- Y. Zhao; Y. Liu; Q. Xu; M. Barahman; D. Bartusik; A. Greer; A. M. Lyons “Singlet Oxygen Generation on Porous Superhydrophobic Surfaces: Effect of Gas Flow and Sensitizer Wetting on Trapping Efficiency” J. Phys. Chem. A 2014, 118, 10364-10371.
- A. Ghogare(a); I. Rizvi; T. Hasan; A. Greer “Pointsource Delivery of a Photosensitizer Drug and Singlet Oxygen: Eradication of Glioma Cells in Vitro” Photochem. Photobiol. 2014, 90, 1119-1125.
- B. Rudshteyn(c); Á. Castillo(a); A. Ghogare(a); J. F. Liebman; A. Greer “Theoretical Study of the Reaction Formalhydrazone with Singlet Oxygen. Fragmentation of the C=N Bond, Ene Reaction, and Other Processes” Photochem. Photobiol. 2014, 90, 431-438 (dedicated to the memory of Prof. Nicholas J. Turro).