Select the correct answer to each of the
following questions by clicking on the appropriate button. Check your
score by clicking on the "Calculate Your Score" button at the bottom
of the page.
The questions you missed will be displayed
below your score. Reread the material relating to those questions you
These are not trick questions; don't try to
second guess them.
1.Perikles' policy was to let the Spartan infantry plunder
Attica and have the Athenian navy attack Spartan territory from the
2. Perikles summoned an assembly because the Athenians blamed
him for their misfortune and were, moreover, eager to make peace with
3. The Athenian invasion of Thrace and siege of Potidaea ended
in failure because the plague broke out in the Athenian
4. Thucydides admits that Athens was only nominally a
and that power really resided in Perikles' hands.
5. Perikles admits that even if it seems unjust for Athens to
have taken her empire, it is now too dangerous a thing to let it
6. Perikles told the Athenians not to send a peace mission to
7. Perikles claimed to be above taking bribes.
8. Perikles said that the Athenians should be motivated by,
among other things, a sense of superiority.
9. Thucydides evaluates Perikles positively as a
10. Thucydides claims that the Athenians lost the war because
they destroyed themselves by their own internal strife.
You missed question(s):