Study Questions - Exam #2
Basic concepts of Conditioning
8. List 5 procedures used to produce inhibitory conditioning. What are the three most common ways of measuring conditioned inhibition?
9. What constitutes a good control group for assessing excitatory Pavlovian conditioning? Also, what is wrong with the explicitly unpaired control procedure? What might be a good control group for assessing inhibitory conditioning?
Theoretical Models of Pavlovian Conditioning
1. What are the basic concepts in the Rescorla-Wagner model?
2. When does learning stop according to the Rescorla-Wagner model?
3. According to the Rescorla-Wagner model, what are the effects of CS intensity and US intensity?
4. In the Rescorla-Wagner model, what produces extinction?
5. In the Rescorla-Wagner model, why does blocking occur? why is learning reduced when the CS-US contingency is degraded? and what about the US preexposure effect?
6. According to the Rescorla-Wagner model, what are the final associative strengths to each of the stimuli in the Pavlovian conditioned inhibition procedure?
7. What is the overexpectation effect and how does it arise from the Rescorla-Wagner model? Discuss the study by Lattal & Nakajima (1998).
8. What does the Rescorla-Wagner model say should happen when you nonreinforce an inhibitor with a neutral stimulus? Discuss the Rescorla (1971) study relevant to this.
9. What phenomena does the Rescorla-Wagner model have difficulty explaining?
10. Why does the model have difficulty explaining Latent Inhibition? How can it be modified to explain it?
11. What problem is posed by configural learning for the Rescorla-Wagner model? What additional assumptions must be made for the model to explain the result?
12. Explain how Garcia & Koelling's observation of CS-US relevance poses a problem to the Rescorla-Wagner model.
13. What is learned irrelevance and why does it pose a problem for the Rescorla-Wagner model.