Clara Rodríguez, "Challenging Racial Hegemony: Puerto Ricans in the United States" (CP).
1. How does the conception of race in the US differ from how it is understood in Latin America? Be specific.
2. What does Rodríguez mean by the "clash of race orders"?
3. Why does Rodríguez illustrate her discussion of the "clash of race orders" with individual case studies?
4. Describe the differences in the ways that Peterson, Iris, and Ali responded to the US racial system. What are the three "paradigmatic" reactions to the US race order illustrated by these individuals?
5. What is the relation between race, or racial formation, and culture espoused in this article?
[Announcements] [Readings] [Questions] [Review] [Essays] [Forum]
[Description] [Texts] [Contact Info] [Requirements] [Research Guide] [Writing Guide]