Thackeray drew several kinds of illustrations for Vanity Fair:
Illustrations for Thackeray's Vanity Fair
The choices below include the first three kinds of drawings, but not
the initial letter drawings.
- full-page drawings for which he wrote
- large, but not full-page, drawings with no
- small sketches,
- drawings using the first letter of each
These presentations require a recent versions of Internet Explorer;
unfortunately, they do not work with Netscape Navigator.
- Click on the choice of chapters you want to
- A new window will appear with an introductory
- The names of the pictures are listed in the
- Each time you click on a name, the
illustration appears in the large window.
- When you have looked at all the illustrations,
close the window by clicking on the box with an X on the top right
- To continue, select another set of chapters.
for chapters 1 through 15
for chapters 16 through 34
for chapters 35 through 51
for chapters 52 through 67
The Initial-Letter Drawings
I have not had time to gather Thackeray's small initial-letter drawings
into a presentation.